Digital Technologies HNC
Cyber Security & Networking
Looking to get your career in Cyber Security started? This course is for anyone looking to develop their understanding of Digital Technologies, who want to develop specialist technical knowledge, and a broad skillset that will help them to find employment.
What will I do?
Want to make a positive change to the digital world? You’ve picked the right Cyber Security and Networking qualification. We’re on a mission to make the digital world a better place. This Level 4 qualification provides the foundation of your learning by giving a broad introduction to digital technologies and to a range of digital technology specialist functions.
The Digital Technologies HNC – Cyber Security and Networking, equivalent to the first year of a university degree programme. It concentrates on developing the skills to succeed in industry and prepares you for work in the digital sector. You’ll study units such as:
- Cyber Security
- Cloud Fundamentals
- Security and Networking
- Data Analytics
- Digital Forensics
You’ll gain a wide range of knowledge, during your Cyber Security and Networking course, tied to practical skills gained through research, independent study, directed study and workplace scenarios, with live project briefs from our employer partners. You will also have the opportunity to develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, research and analysis, which are highly valued in higher education and the workplace
Is it for me?
If you’re looking to get your career in Cyber Security and Networking started and have a passion for digital technologies, then this is the course for you. There are full time and part time course options available to suit your needs.
Not ready to apply yet? Why not give us an email, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. We’ll be able to advise on whether this Cyber Security and Networking course is right for you and take it from there.
To ensure you are prepared for entering the industry, learners will join BCS The Chartered Institute for IT as a student member and will have the option to complete the following accreditations:
- Microsoft Azure Fundamentals
- Microsoft Data Fundamentals
- Microsoft AI Fundamentals
- Microsoft Power Apps Fundamentals
After studying a Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Digital Technologies you’ll have sound knowledge of the basic concepts of digital technology. You’ll be able to demonstrate a range of subject-specific skills as well as general skills and qualities relevant to digital employers.
Once you’ve completed your HNC, you can progress your learning by moving on to Digital Technologies Higher National Diploma, progress on to study at university or onto employment.
What types of jobs could you expect afterwards?
You could expect roles with titles such as Cyber Security Specialist, Risk Analyst, Networking Engineer. Don’t feel limited by this list, with the Digital Technologies HNC you’ll be anything ready.
During these jobs you could be responsible for working in a dynamic and agile environment, with constant exposure to new technologies and plenty of opportunities to grow your skills and learn from others. You will be involved in a variety of roles which include:
- Granting VPN access to remote workers
- Monitoring for malware
- Diagnosing data vulnerability
- Making recommendations for hardware and software to enhance security
- Regulating use of data, only allowing access of certain files to certain employees
- Designing firewalls
- Running data usage reports
- Training staff on current security issues
- Helping HR train other departments on safely handling data
Did you know?
- The demand for Cyber Security skills has rocketed by 79.69% 2017-2019 (Tech Nation Jobs and Skills Report 2020) UK tech employs 2.93m people, with 40% growth in two years (Tech Nation Jobs and Skills Report 2020).
What’s the learning experience like?
Digital Technologies HNC learners at the South Central IoT will benefit from:
- Project based learning: You will manage projects from beginning to end, solving employer-generated problems and maximising higher skills.
- Active partnerships with employers: Our previous projects include working with Microsoft. Learners will be given opportunities to complete Microsoft relevant certifications. Our projects are co-delivered with employer partners which means you get trained directly by industry professionals.
- Confidence to learn, forget and relearn – as you would in industry: You will be treated as a unique investor in your working future rather than individuals accessing courses.
- Real research and development: You will undertake detailed research, enquiry, writing and analysis and communicate results effectively.
- Friendly and approachable: The South Central Institute of technology team is welcoming, and will encourage you at every step.
How will my progress be monitored?
Our Digital Coaches will support you on your exciting learning journey. They will provide advice and guidance at regular intervals to ensure you achieve the best possible grade.
How will the programme be assessed?
All of our programmes are assessed by assignments or coursework. Projects completed as part of the course are based on live briefs from industry employers, ensuring relevant workplace experience and potential job prospects.
How much time will I spend being taught and how much self-study?
At Level 4 entry, total qualification time is estimated at 1,200 hours per academic year, of which 480 hours are guided learning hours. This equates to approx. 15 hours per week taught (face-to-face and e-learning) and 15+ hours per week independent self-study during term time.
This course can be studied both full-time in one-year and part-time in one year.
The most important thing for us is passion, dedication and commitment to learning about digital technologies at a higher level.
It all starts with a conversation with our admissions team to find out about your interests and aspirations, and we’ll match you to the right pathway.
Work Experience & Employers
You’ll gain a wide range of knowledge, during your Cyber Security and Networking course, tied to practical skills gained through research, independent study, directed study and workplace scenarios, with live project briefs from our employer partners.
During the course of your Higher National Certificate, you’ll develop and strengthen your core skills, while preparing yourself to continue onto a Level 5 Higher National Diploma, or to entering employment.
Not only will you have a sound knowledge across a broad range of technical areas, you’ll also leave with the qualities and skills that employers look for. What’s more, we’ll be here to support you at every step, offering a friendly environment that feels (and looks) like a real employer.