Include · Innovate · cONNECT · Challenge
Equality and diversity
Inclusion. Diversity. They’re more than just words for us. They’re the hard-and-fast principles guiding how we build our teams, cultivate leaders and create a learning environment that’s the right fit for every person inside of it.
We are one of the largest educational institutions and employers in a richly diverse area – we want to reflect that inside our walls.
In everything we do we will:
Discover more about how we live these values via the tabs »
We create opportunities for all, raise aspirations, be diverse in our thinking and offer incredible support to our community.
We innovate – our IoT will forever be in beta mode as we seek to continuously refine and adapt our ways of working to respond to new technologies and learning innovations.
We always seek to collaborate and form partnerships, developing a community among our stakeholders which will create opportunities and lead to a thriving alumni network.
We have boundless ambition in everything we do, solving real world problems and using non-traditional methods.
- Where everyone* is included, knows that they belong and that they matter, and can be their authentic self to achieve their full potential
- Which is representative of the communities it serves
- Which is proactive in ending prejudice and injustice wherever it’s found, and
- Which becomes a diversity and inclusion role model for other organisations, and drives improved ‘downstream’ diversity and inclusion within employer partners.
* By ‘everyone’ we mean: learners, staff, dual professionals, partners, members of the wider community and other stakeholders.
- Create a culture of declaration, in which diversity-related data is captured, analysed and used to drive decision-making
- Improve the inclusion of our current students, and identify and address specific needs
- Develop mentoring and allyship programmes with partners
- With our learners, co-create an even more inclusive curriculum and student experience for the future
- Take proactive action against prejudice and hate (e.g. through relevant activities that support anti-racism, anti-homophobia, anti-islamophobia etc.)
- Engage proactively with prospective learners from under-represented talent groups
- Communicate in ways that support increased inclusion and celebrate our diversity
- Design-in inclusion at our IoT centres at Bletchley, Oxford and Reading
- Set a purposeful intention to recruit a diverse base of staff and dual professionals
- Cement the universal responsibility for supporting equality, diversity and inclusion
“The business case for inclusion and diversity (I&D) is stronger than ever. For diverse companies, the likelihood of outperforming industry peers on profitability has increased over time… the higher the representation [of women, and ethnically diverse people in particular], the higher the likelihood of outperformance.”
– McKinsey 2020