Providing an inclusive environment for everyone is of the utmost importance to us, both in our physical environments and learning spaces, as well as on our digital platforms.
This accessibility statement applies to the South Central Institute of Technology website, located at www.southcentraliot.ac.uk
This website is operated by Milton Keynes College Group and Activate Learning. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts (using Reachdeck accessibility toolbar)
- zoom in up to 300% without text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
This accessibility statement outlines the work we have undertaken to make the website as usable and accessible as possible – in addition to documenting areas we still need to improve.
Naturally, we want to provide the best possible browsing experience for everyone, across all types of devices and assistive technologies. There is some useful information from the organisation AbilityNet on making your devices easier to use which may be of interest.
How accessible this website is
There are a few areas within the website that are not fully accessible.
- some third-party embedded functionality does not contain:
- an Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) attribute
- hidden elements with focusable content
- inline frames without a text alternative
- some headings are not logically nested to achieve Level ‘AAA’ conformance
- some areas of the site require higher colour contrast to achieve Level ‘AA’ conformance
- some PDF documents may not be fully accessible to screen readers
- live video streams do not have captions
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 01908 684444 and ask to speak to the website team
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in four working days.
Please note that arranging for alternative formats may take longer. However we will respond to you within the above time frame to discuss your requirements.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or if you think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, please email email@example.com or call 01908 684444 and ask to speak to the website team.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS)
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
Our offices have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
Find out how to contact us here.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
The South Central Institute of Technology is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
- The majority of our forms are hosted externally by a third-party. These contain missing attributes and text alternatives. The forms are embedded which means we do not have full control. We are currently researching how we can resolve this and have contacted our supplier.
- Some design elements have insufficient colour contrast to meet Level ‘AA’ conformance. We are currently reviewing this against our brand identity, to see where we can improve.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some historic documents may not be accessible in a number of ways including missing text alternatives and missing document structure. We are aiming to resolve this issue for all new future documents. If you have an issue relating to the accessibility of a document, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01908 684444 and ask to speak to the website team.
We do not plan to add captions to all live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
Accessibility and inclusivity is of paramount importance to the South Central Institute of Technology. We continually evaluate our website – working closely with our external web development agency to make sure it conforms to accessibility standards.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared in May 2022. It was last reviewed on 17 May 2022.
This website was last tested in February 2022. The test was carried out by Reachdeck accessibility auditor which scans the entire website and flags up criteria related to WCAG compliance issues. Issues are then analysed so that content and development fixes and improvements are scheduled as appropriate.